[CentOS] Mini-centOS

Fri May 13 11:54:03 UTC 2005
Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>

kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:
> I am using centOS for my server and centOS is extremely stable. I almost love centOS more than my wife. However, centOS is a bit heavy to run on my notebook (P III 1G, 256MB RAM). I need gnome, firefox, openoffice, realplayer, gaim, acrobat and thunderbird on my notebook, but if I install all of them (plus base-system), my notebook becomes very slow. I wish I could have a lighter version of centOS for notebooks and old desktops. Is there any project that I could have a mini-centOS in the future???

Disable all services you dont need, stop the VC's ( you might want to
retain at least 1 ), move to a lighter Gnome theme ( clearlooks is my
current fav.!)

You will find CentOS 4 on a P-III 1 Ghz cpu is quite usable. In most
cases, the HDD transfer rate is going to be slowing you down more than
anything else.  ( Maybe read ahead tweaking might help here, marginally )

While 256MB is 'enough' for most things, its apps like OpenOffice that
are going to struggle a bit.

- K

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/