[CentOS] Mini-centOS

Fri May 13 15:43:24 UTC 2005
Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>

On 5/13/05, kenkensmile at netscape.net <kenkensmile at netscape.net> wrote:
> Yes, you are exactly right. My notebook has a slow video hardware(8MB).
> Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade memory up to 512MB,
> because 256MB is the maximum capacity.
> I have also found an article that MS is making a new OS for old computers,
> so I just simply thought I would like to have a mini-centOS.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5705456.html

If you want to compare CentOS to this, then you have to realize that
this "lightweight" version of MS will only run a remote desktop
session (Terminal Service), a browser (IE), a music app (MSWindows
Media Player), a virus scanner and a file navigation utility
(Explorer).

As others have pointed out, you can easily setup a minimal version of
CentOS which can do these things:

Select "minimal" during the install
Add in rdesktop, xfce, firefox, clamav if you really want the virus
scan, add xmms or similar and you have an equivalent system which I
believe would be much snappier than the WindowsXP/Embedded equivalent.

Regards,
Greg