[CentOS] A BIG Thank You

Fri Nov 4 13:09:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 20:41 +0200, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 08:33:38AM -0800, Robert wrote:
> >
> > ummmmm because i have not specifically done what you folks are doing, maybe
> > you can give us some specific insights and time tables.
> >
> > in general, how many hours does it take from start to finish to do whatever
> > it is that you do (gather/compile/whatever else etc) to finished product of
> > 4 ISO's etc for downloading on the site???
>
> I don't know about others, but i'd assume it being pretty much same for
> us everyone (different arches and versions of CentOS).
>
> Usually the CPU-power isn't issue at all. Sometimes, when you do have
> to iterate things over and over again (in case of problems) one might
> think that 'infinite amount of CPU-speed' would be good, but it's not
> about that at all. At least for me.

I agree with Pasi here ... by far, the biggest issue is the boring part
of the process.  (Release announcements, spinning and testing the
installs, maintaining the build machines in a pristine build
environment, comparing the linked libraries to upstream and
investigating/correcting differences, fixing things that are broken
{like the dhcpd and glade2 issues and before also thunderbird}.

I also think that we need to do the build process on local machines, as
that allows us more control over the private keys used to sign and
prevents accidental release of development files.

The biggest problem we have had during the last (2) CentOS-4 update
cycles is being able to handle the distribution load.  That is were we
can use some major help :)

Donations of large space (>200gb), fast connected (100mbit/1gbit to the
internet), unlimited bandwith (we served 24TB last 3 weeks) servers that
we can control would help the cause a great deal.

If you have a machine like that donate (especially Hosting Providers and
ISPs who are using a free enterprise level distro now in CentOS) please
see:

http://www.centos.org/donate/

[snip]