[CentOS] Sendmail

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sun Nov 6 02:34:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 02:46 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> qpopper has a continuing, very doubtful history regarding security/bug
> issues. Each new release comes with a major bug (often a new buffer
> overflow). You better avoid that application. Too because it is not
> provided by CentOS. Use dovecot - quick, easy to configure and shipping
> with CentOS base.
>
> Comment on your question about the MTA and MSA services by Sendmail: if
> you explicitly set DAEMON_OPTIONS for the MSA or TLSMTA you too have to
> explicitly set them for the MTA - else the MTA is disabled.
> You can easily play around with it: selective activate and deactivate
> DAEMON_OPTIONS for the services in sendmail.mc, rebuild the sendmail.cf
> from it (make -C /etc/mail) and then look at the results by running
> "grep DaemonPortOptions /etc/mail/sendmail.cf".
>
> Alexander

Advice taken.. I did some extensive searching of the archived
discussions, and did not find any one thing that related to setup of
dovecot, nor could I find any kind of document describing setup of
sendmail/cyrus-imapd.  Even google did not return what I'd consider fair
game unless I were installing from sources, which I'm not.  That said,
is there a document that describes setup of dovecot?  All I really need
is pop, as there is only one or two mail accounts on the machine.

Sam