[CentOS] Sendmail

Sun Nov 6 17:12:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 11:41 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:31 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Sam Drinkard wrote on Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:22:02 -0500:
>

> > AFAIK, looking at my mc and m4 files the only thing you need to do is
> > comment out FEATURE(`no_default_msa') if it is uncommented. You don't need
> > any DaemonOptions at all if you want sendmail listen on standard ports 25
> > and submission agent on 587. However, if you use at least *one*
> > DeamonOptions line your override that all and have to explicitly set
> > one-by-one.
> >

>     I completely missed that line in the .mc file.  Sure enough,
> commenting out the submission port and commenting out the no default
> MTA worked.  I still think there should be something somewhere in the
> installation guide to reflect the fact that sendmail as packaged does
> not listen on any port except the loopback.

You mean like this:
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-email-mta.html

(Look for the "important note" box that starts out:

The default sendmail.cf file does not allow Sendmail to accept network
connections from any host other than the local computer.

)

That would be because for the vast majority of installs, they need an
MTA that works on the local machine to send out mail, but it is not a
real mail server ... but something that will send php or other mail to a
real mailserver.

Also, if it accepted mail from everywhere without configuration, it
would be as insecure as the Windows XP defaults :)

> Really, it's rather dumb to me, that having a MTA that does not listen
> on port 25 out of the box.  Why even bother starting the sendmail
> daemon at all if it's not going to be useable for inbound mail?

Because for most machines that are not mail servers, they need out and
not inbound mail.