[CentOS] Sendmail

Sun Nov 6 17:12:00 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 11:41 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 16:31 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > Sam Drinkard wrote on Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:22:02 -0500:
> >
> > AFAIK, looking at my mc and m4 files the only thing you need to do is
> > comment out FEATURE(`no_default_msa') if it is uncommented. You don't need
> > any DaemonOptions at all if you want sendmail listen on standard ports 25
> > and submission agent on 587. However, if you use at least *one*
> > DeamonOptions line your override that all and have to explicitly set
> > one-by-one.
> >

>     I completely missed that line in the .mc file.  Sure enough,
> commenting out the submission port and commenting out the no default
> MTA worked.  I still think there should be something somewhere in the
> installation guide to reflect the fact that sendmail as packaged does
> not listen on any port except the loopback.

You mean like this:

(Look for the "important note" box that starts out:

The default sendmail.cf file does not allow Sendmail to accept network
connections from any host other than the local computer.

That would be because for the vast majority of installs, they need an
MTA that works on the local machine to send out mail, but it is not a
real mail server ... but something that will send php or other mail to a
real mailserver.

Also, if it accepted mail from everywhere without configuration, it
would be as insecure as the Windows XP defaults :)

> Really, it's rather dumb to me, that having a MTA that does not listen
> on port 25 out of the box.  Why even bother starting the sendmail
> daemon at all if it's not going to be useable for inbound mail?

Because for most machines that are not mail servers, they need out and
not inbound mail.