[CentOS] Sendmail

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Sun Nov 6 17:35:55 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 11:12 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> You mean like this:
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/docs/html/rhel-rg-en-4/s1-email-mta.html
>
> (Look for the "important note" box that starts out:
>
> The default sendmail.cf file does not allow Sendmail to accept network
> connections from any host other than the local computer.

Yes, I saw that while I was doing some reading about what was what, but
even tho it says it does not allow network connections, that still does
not tell one how to enable network connections, and that is the part I
completely missed when looking over the sendmail.cf.

> )
>
> That would be because for the vast majority of installs, they need an
> MTA that works on the local machine to send out mail, but it is not a
> real mail server ... but something that will send php or other mail to a
> real mailserver.

I would assume if an individual is sending mail out, one would also need
to be receiving mail as well.  Granted many folks use their ISP's mail
box for out/inbound, but then again,  folks like me who use the machine
as our primary mail gateway should not expect different configurations
out of sendmail in the pureist extent.  Sendmail, for me, has always
been something that "just works" with little or no tweaking as it has in
so many distributions of BSD years past.  I was not expecting a "broken"
configuration (broken as in no network connect) even tho the change is
trivial.

> Also, if it accepted mail from everywhere without configuration, it
> would be as insecure as the Windows XP defaults :)

I can't comment on windows xp, as I've never used the MTA altho it's
there...

> Because for most machines that are not mail servers, they need out and
> not inbound mail.
>
> >  Perhaps someone up the road has different thoughts than I, or perhaps
> > it's because there are lots of people who don't like sendmail due to
> > the complexity of the sendmail.cf.  Either way, it's now working as it
> > should..

I still stand by my thinking that there should be some mention of how to
enable sendmail to accept network connections in the docs without
swimming thru all the various pages of setup and sysadmin, but that is
strictly *my* opinion.  I know better now :-)

Sam