[CentOS] kernel recompile help
ryanag at zoominternet.net
Wed Nov 9 23:36:28 UTC 2005
Jim Perrin wrote:
>>>Now that I've given you the warning, the how-to I'd recommend reading
>>>is here -> http://crab-lab.zool.ohiou.edu/kevin/kernel-compilation-tutorial-en/
>>Great link. Thanks.
> No problem. Hope it works out okay for you. If you have any issues
> with the instructions I'd like to know about them if you're willing to
Ok get ready for some weirdness...
The CentOS kernel src RPM puts the source in:
I didn't really want to install this kernel as an RPM, so the below
steps do not result in a kernel RPM, just a new kernel.
To recompile kernel:
[optional - boot set /etc/inittab to boot to runlevel 3 and reboot, this
will free up some resources and make this go faster]
1. Get the kernel source of your choosing.
rpm -Uvh kernel.src.rpm
2. Get the development packages
yum install kernel-devel ncurses-devel
3. Move into the directory (this assumes you used 2.6.9 source)
4, Edit EXTRAVERSION to say -something
nano Makefle, "EXTRAVERSION = -something"
6. Get a baseline kernel config to start with.
7. Edit the kernel options (modules and includes)
8. Exit menuconfig and save configuration
9. Get ready to build
10. Create image
11. Compile modules
make modules && make modules_install
13. Set system to boot new kernel
system-config-boot if in GUI, hack /etc/grub.conf if not
More information about the CentOS