[CentOS] kernel recompile help

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:01:36 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Ok get ready for some weirdness...
>
> The CentOS kernel src RPM puts the source in:
> /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.6.9/linux-2.6.9/
>
> I didn't really want to install this kernel as an RPM, so the below
> steps do not result in a kernel RPM, just a new kernel.

Any reason why? Centos is an rpm based distribution, so it would stand
to reason that things you install should be installed as rpm. The
major purpose for this being that if updates happen to require a
particular kernel version, and you build yours from source, rpm knows
nothing about what you're using, and will either install a kernel you
don't want, or will fail miserably trying to solve dependencies you've
broken. What harm is there in following the steps to build the rpm?
You're chopping out all the stuff you don't want anyway, so you still
end up with the same thing, but by building it as an rpm, your
packaging system is at least aware of it.

--
Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT