[CentOS] VirtualHost squirrelmail and Apache

Julio Soto jujo at jujo.info
Wed Nov 9 23:39:04 UTC 2005

Hello,

I've been configuring the virtualhosts, and I've come out to a "stop
point". I mean, I feel like the http request is being stop at the DNS
server without being forwarded to the appropiate service.

In this case I'm working only with one machine 192.168.1.1 and this
machine is hosting DNS, mailserver and web server.

The classic example of virtual host would be assigning
http://webmail.dominio.com to /usr/share/squirrelmail being dominio.com
my domain.

Let's see the results of the http petitions
Quote:

        http://www.dominio.com OK

        http://dominio.com OK

        http://webmail.dominio.com DNS error

        http://www.dominio.com/webmail OK

        http://mail.dominio.com Shows the page but squirrelmail is not
        working at all

mail.dominio.com and smtp.dominio.com are listed in the bind as MX.
Looging into squirrelmail by http://mail.dominio.com let's you introduce
user and password, but when it is supposed to show your messages gives
the following error:

ERROR : Could not complete request.

Query: SELECT "INBOX"

Reason Given: Internal error occured. Refer to server log for more
information. [2005-11-09 16:48:40]

In the log I only see :

Quote:

        [Wed Nov 09 16:47:54 2005] [error] [here.the.proxy.ip] File does
        not exist: /usr/share/squirrelmail/favicon.ico

The error to not see the messages should be something more beside the
favicon.....
I give more data:

The relevant part of /etc/httpd/conf.d/vhosts.conf is:

        # Definición del Sitio de Red principal
        NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1

        <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
        ServerAdmin webmaster at dominio.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/
        ServerName www.dominio.com
        </VirtualHost>

        <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
        ServerAdmin webmaster at dominio.com
        DocumentRoot /usr/share/squirrelmail/
        ServerName webmail.dominio.com
        ErrorLog logs/webmail.dominio.com-error_log
        CustomLog logs/webmail.dominio.com-access_log combined

        </VirtualHost>

        <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
        ServerAdmin webmaster at dominio.com
        DocumentRoot /usr/share/squirrelmail/
        ServerName mail.dominio.com
        ErrorLog logs/mail.dominio.com-error_log
        CustomLog logs/mail.dominio.com-access_log combined
        </VirtualHost>

I also tried this configuration, with identical results

# Definición del Sitio de Red principal
        NameVirtualHost *:80
	NameVirtualHost *:443

        <VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin webmaster at dominio.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/
        ServerName www.dominio.com
        </VirtualHost>

        <VirtualHost *:80>

        ServerAdmin webmaster at dominio.com
        DocumentRoot /usr/share/squirrelmail/
        ServerName mail.dominio.com
        ErrorLog logs/mail.dominio.com-error_log
        CustomLog logs/mail.dominio.com-access_log combined
        </VirtualHost>

The apache configuration file is a fresh new one that was comming with
httpd-2.0.52-19.ent.centos4

Any idea?

As far as I can see http://mail.domain.com is working because
mail.domain.com is listed as MX in the bind zone file, but as far as I
can imagine, I shouldn't list in bind every virtualhost I'm configuring
in apache.

May I provide any other information to have this solved?

Regards
Jujo

--
Software patents kill innovation.