[CentOS] php versions

Fri Nov 11 14:23:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 14:09 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 11.11.2005 schrieb Mark Quitoriano um 13:30:
>
> > Got a question with centos/rhel php versions. because in centos 3
> > they're still using 4.3.2 and centos 4 which uses 4.3.9. how about the
> > bugfixes done in 4.4 and 4.4.1? centos/rhel updates regularly like
> > centos 3 which already updated for 6 times but still uses 4.3.2? is
> > that mean we still suffer the bugs of the original 4.3.2?
>
> > Mark Quitoriano, CCNA
>

> That topic has been asked many time on this list, and was answered too.
> Please read
>
> http://www.redhat.com/advice/speaks_backport.html
>
> about the work done by the PNAELV.

And to expound on the back porting just a bit ... (pulls out the Soap
Box :)

One of the most important things about an Enterprise OS is that once it
is configured, the majority of the packages will not have major changes
in the way they work ... especially critical, server type items like
httpd, dhcpd, named, nfs, lvm, etc.

Also, things like the kernel, glibc, gcc, etc. need to remain relatively
constant (except for fixing bugs / security).

This is because people who just spent $150,000 to have someone build a
new webapp get pretty pissed when it doesn't compile because we wanted
to move from apache 2.0.52 to 2.0.54 ... or move from 3.4.2 to 3.4.4
gcc.

Basically, except for some minor things (like the web browsers,
etc.) ... the major versions of a package are going to stay the same
throughout the lifetime of an Enterprise OS.

That means that CentOS-4 (until it retires in 2012) will most likely
always have 2.0.52 apache, 2.8.x Gnome, 3.3.x KDE, 4.3.9 php, 2.6.9-x
kerenl, etc.  Although new updates will happen that add some
functionality, fix bugs, and fix security issues it won't usually be
major changes.

Every 18-24 months a new version (next being CentOS-5) will be released,
and that will have new technology ... but it will likewise have it's
major packages frozen at it's release levels for it's lifetime.