[CentOS] Beware - Yum 3.5 to 3.6 upgrade replaces named.conf

Tue Nov 15 20:29:37 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:15 -0800, Robert wrote:
> } Michael Rock wrote:
> }
> } You get so used to yum upgrades going so smoothly but
> } I learned the hard way to always make a thorough
> } inspection after a yum update.  I let yum go ahead and
> } upgrade from 3.5 to 3.6.  Afterwards I made some basic
> } queries to httpd, postfix and bind named (probably a
> } cached query). I even checked the /var/named/
> } directory and saw all my hosts files.
> }
> } So looked like another smooth ride, well until today I
> } noticed my domains dropped off the net. Too bad I did
> } not check the bind gui or look at /etc/named.conf
> } after the yum update since it was replaced with a
> } generic version from 3.6.
> }
> } Luckily I copied /etc/named.conf-rpmsave to named.conf
> } and I am back in business, well at least in 24 to 72
> } hours for the rest of the world :(
> }
>
> interesting, on a CentOS 4.1 chroot nameserver i did a
>
> yum upgrade yum
>
> "only" here some time ago and did not experience this issue.
>
> i have not done any upgrades since 4.2 was released other than the yum
> upgrade though.
>
> this is just FYI
>
>  - rh
>
> --
> Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
>    Computer & Internet Services
>  (509) 624-7159 - www.abbacomm.net

Ok guys ... this is ONLY an issue IF you have caching-nameserver AND
bind installed ... and if you used the named.conf from caching-
nameserver.

RH says to NOT install caching-nameserver and a real name server on the
same machine ...

When caching-nameserver is upgraded, it changes your named.conf file ...
to make it, guess what, a caching nameserver. (A caching name server is
one that resolves all domains ... but is not the master or secondary for
any zones).

This is the exactly expected and designed behavior ... so, NEVER, EVER,
EVER install caching-nameserver on a DNS server that your are using for
real domain control.