[CentOS] Minimal installation How-to?

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Wed Nov 16 15:08:52 UTC 2005

>From http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=798&forum=31

Re: centos4 server CD
 _almost_ here :)
Posted on: 2005/8/22 16:43

_________________
--
Karanbir Singh { http://www.karan.org/ }

>From http://www.karan.org/blog/  (the freak will see you now)

CentOS 4.2 Server CD - i386 Released
The single CD Server edition of CentOS 4.2/i386 has now been released.

It lets you setup a basic CentOS 4 system along with the server components. Anything else that is needed can then be installed via yum or up2date once the system is running. The resulting installed system is identical to a normal CentOS 4 install ( with yum and up2date ).

One important thing to keep in mind - this installer uses the stock i686 kernel - therefore i586 machines are not supported ( including MiniITX, ViaC3's, AMD K6' etc ). If you need to install on such machines, you will need to get the full distro.

Download it from the /centos/4/isos/i386/ directory on your local mirror or pickup the torrent.

We appreciate all feedback ( via http://bugs.centos.org/ ), including RFE's and Bug notices.

Enjoy!

--
Karanbir Singh { http://www.karan.org/ }

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

Tim Edwards wrote:
> Sanjay Arora wrote:
>> I would like to install the minimal level of Centos, with yum & selinux
>> on my servers during the basic install from CD with Anaconda and then
>> use yum to install whatever application is major on that server, so that
>> yum installs its dependencies only, thus keeping to the target of
>> installing only what is needed on a server.
>
> When you get to the package selection stage of the install scroll down
> to the bottom and select 'Minimal Install'.

I believe CentOS team released a CentOS 'Server CD', single CD for said
'minimal' installs.
Recall something mensioned about installer using i586 or i686 kernel -
Quick look through archive should show post in question.

Regards,

Sean