[CentOS] [OT][Practices] The Case for RBAC/MAC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 19 02:09:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 20:29 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >On Friday 18 November 2005 09:55, Brian T. Brunner wrote:
> >

> >>Who, pray tell, is my attacker?
> >>

> >The Windows box that just got infected from a floppy disk, CD, or other media,
> >and it is inside your firewall (if you have one).  Of course, if all your
> >systems are embedded, or have no network connections, then there is no
> >attacker in the traditional sense.
> >
> >However, SELinux can provide more protection than that, perhaps even
> >preventing a bug in the code that's running from blowing away critical files,
> >for a possible (even if not probable) example.
> >

> I'd like to interject here.. this thread has really gone off the deep
> end, but just chew on this for a little while, and perhaps something
> good will come out of it.  99% of the time, people get agitated,
> aggrivated, or ill about things that 1., they have no control over, and
> 2., in all likelyhood, 99% of the time, those 99% of events will *NEVER*
> have any impact on you, *so* why even worry with it ?  Personal feelings
> never solve anything unless you happen to be husband and wife, and I
> don't think any of you fit that category.  It's time to move on to other
> topics, if this thread has not run everybody off already.
and I'd like to interject here...

I am quite certain that few if any minds are changed by these debates
but I think that it's arbitrary and unfair for some to express their
opinions and then someone decides that they can cut off debate because
they aren't interested.

I presume you know how to delete emails that are on topics that you
aren't interested in.

Everyone should get the opportunity to speak their piece - regardless of
whether you agree or not, and if you're not interested in the
thread...just delete it.

believed to be clean.