[CentOS] [OT][Practices] The Case for RBAC/MAC

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Nov 19 05:17:04 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 22:07 -0500, Sam Drinkard wrote:

> Craig, it's not about being interested or disinterested.  The
> discussion has completely turned into a urinating contest between
> those that will and those that won't.  Yes, I know how to delete
> things, but is still fills up the mailbox with unnecessary chatter.  I
> don't think I'm alone in wanting the thread to go away either.  3 or 4
> days worth is enough.  Take it to personal e-mail.  I'm in learning
> stages with CentOS and linux in general.  I sure can't learn anything
> from this conversation other than who can create the longest post.
----
so if there's 10 of you that want the thread to die and there's 1000
people subscribed does that make it significant?

There are a lot of sysadmins on this list - the interchange is
interesting in that there is a wide range of opinions.

You may not recall but I actually started the thread about SELinux
because I didn't know how to fix 2 issues...1 was benign, 1 was
malignant. The thread turned to the philosophical debate and I got my
answer from fedora-selinux-list at redhat.com instead. I was a bit put out
by that but only because no really bothered to help.

If you are an end user and not a sysadmin, then the entire discussion
isn't likely to mean much to you and I'm sorry for the fact that you
have to wade through it. On the other hand, I don't have much interest
in running mplayer on CentOS because I use fedora for my desktops so I
have to wade through that.

I use evolution. I use it in threaded mode. If I log on and see a
message thread that I am not interested in, I can <Control>-H (select
thread), <Control>-D (delete) and be done with the entire thread.
Perhaps you need a different mail client that has more capability.
(umm...nope, you use evolution too, looks like you need to update it)

We all have the ability to delete the messages...it takes but a second
and it seems to me that your opposition to the continuation of the
thread probably has more to do with the participants than the discussion
itself - but let me assure you that the participants are very
knowledgeable people - perhaps too sarcastic at times but knowledgable.

Sometimes it's worth perusing through useless discussions to help me
judge who really knows their stuff and who bluffs and blunders their way
through things.

Craig

believed to be clean.