[CentOS] pine rpm for centos 4 -- wasn't included in RHEL 3 either

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 22 04:01:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 07:19 +0530, Sudev Barar wrote:
> [OT from thread]
> Bryan,
> What mail client you are using? Everytime you reply to a query instead
> of coming under the same thred a new thread is started.

Not everytime.  Just when I append or change the latter part of a
subject.  I'm from the "old school UseNet" generation, and follow the
O'Reilly Guidelines for group discussion.  It's so old, that they are
difficult to find anymore (circa late '80s/early '90s).

It works brilliantly when your mail (SMTP) or news (NNTP) reader tracks
via 30+ year old Message-ID.  That way you can thread dozens or even
hundreds of follow-ups, even if the topic changes, while still allowing
others to not have to read through dozens before getting to it.

> Makes it difficult to read a thread.

That's because you're using GMail, which doesn't track Message-ID.

It not only tries to rely on subject, but it does it rather
_incompletely_.  I.e., GMail could _easily_ track appendages to the
subject, but it doesn't.

Ask Google to either thread by Message-ID or

I receive more thanks from people who find my stuff buried in Google
searches than I receive complaints from GMail users, so I continue to
use the O'Reilly Guidelines.  Again, you'll note my posts thread
_perfectly_ in Mailman's Pipermail (used by this list), because my mail
clients (be it Yahoo/Web or Evolution) honor Message-ID.  E.g.,
  http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-November/thread.html

--
Bryan J. Smith   b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com