[CentOS] Is lsdev AWOL?

Jerry W. Hubbard hubbardjw at charter.net
Tue Nov 29 00:34:14 UTC 2005

Josh Kelley wrote:
> On 11/26/05, Jerry W. Hubbard <hubbardjw at charter.net> wrote:
>>I was looking at my newly installed CentOS 4.2 system with ls* commands
>>yesterday and lsdev was not on the system.
>>Did I miss installing a package? A Google search for CentOS 4.2 and
>>lsdev was unhelpful.
> lsdev is part of the procinfo package, which doesn't appear to be
> provided with any version of RHEL or CentOS.  However, it is included
> with Fedora, so you should be able to take the procinfo SRPM from
> Fedora Core 3 or 4 and rebuild it for CentOS 4.2.
> FYI, an easy way to check for which package provides what (rather than
> using Google) is
> yum provides lsdev
> Josh Kelley

For the original search on my, I did an updatedb and used the locate
lsdev command. I also tried find and whereis lsdev. After some research
this weekend it was apparent the procinfo and socklist commands did not
work either. Your answer explains why.

I was also interested in why it was not included, hence the Google
search. It appears Linux may be more secure without it. I did not find a
clear explanation why. My guess is the system calls made by the procinfo
package. I'm not a programmer. If I were, I would review the source code.

I suspected it was not provided in RHEL, just haven't found a way to
prove it without help.

Does Red Hat provide a site that list the included packages? Is it in
the Red Hat Doc? I was looking for the lsdev package also, not procinfo.
Still allot to learn.

Josh, Thank you for the help.

Jerry Hubbard
hubbardjw at charter.net