[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:58:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:04, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > so my question is..why can't yum deal with a squid proxy running in
> > transparent mode?..<G>
> Because a transparent proxy is cheating ... yum has no idea that you are
> using a proxy.

That's the point.  You don't need to configure every client.  Why would
anyone want to?

> Transparent proxies are not the way proxy servers should
> be done.

And the more correct alternative that allows yum to work without
configuration would be???

> If you know the IP address and port of your transparent proxy ... and
> you setup yum to use it properly, it will be no problem.

It is no problem for browsers either way.  What does yum need that
browsers don't?

> If yum is not configured to use a proxy, it assumes that it is making a
> direct connection.  This is not an unreasonable assumption, and it is
> quite logical.
> Transparent proxies should be against the freaking law :)

Yes, right *after* there is universal agreement on how to auto-configure
everything that uses http and ftp to use a non-transparent proxy - and
the matching code gets added everywhere.  Meanwhile things that claim
to use http should work the same way as browsers.

  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com