[CentOS] Yum / Up2date issues and mirror.centos.org

Bryan J. Smith thebs413 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 23:20:21 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heh... Our business is selling streaming data services,
> mostly over the internet and from an assortment of
> distributed servers, so you can guess how I feel about
> that.

Huh?  Just because I do _not_ set a "default gateway" on a
system does _not_ mean they can't reach the Internet.  Quite
the opposite!  If anything, I'm ensuring _how_ they reach and
_what_ they reach on the Internet.  ;->

No offense, but at this point, I'm starting to question your
technical reasoning (let alone Internet security fundamentals
;-).  You see only 1 way to do something, and then make
assumptions on what is and isn't possible based on them.

I have _nothing_ against people who find something that works
for them.  But I have something against people who think it's
the only way, or no other way could possible be better.

> So, if yum ever becomes a GNOME app, all our problems are
> solved.

Sigh ... NetworkManager is _part_ of GNOME, but it sets
things up _outside_ of GNOME too.  It just offers them to
GNOME applications as well -- things like Evolution, Firefox,
etc...

That's the "greater issue" I'm talking about, so you don't
have to go around to every application to set things.

> Bottom line is it has to be easier than typing the command
> line once with the proxy info on it and subsequently
> recalling it from command history or I probably won't
change.

How about exporting an environmental variable in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local?

And atop of that, why not just download updates on 1 system,
then redistribute them from it's cache instead -- _after_
you've tested that they work?

At this point, I don't know if you're really interested in
anything that would make your life easier, you just want the
way you know -- you have continually argued to be "best" and
nothing else could be -- to work.  And until you get that
from the CentOS developers on this, or any other issue that
seems to be an issue at the upstream provider, we will hear
about it on this list.

> Actually I seldom even type it the first time - I usually
ssh
> in after installing a new box and paste the command from
> another window on a different machine.

Again, do you get paid by the hour?  You certainly must.  ;->
If I do anything more than a few times, it's scripted.