[CentOS] why was LILO removed from centOS 4.2?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:15:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 09:51, Ulrik S. Kofod wrote:

> Will groub ever be able to boot RAID1 (from any disk in the array by default) ?  I
> hate when something that works get's replaced with something "smart". And I still
> havent seen an answer to why grub is so great, to me it seems like it doesn't really
> work as booting pretty much is the main attaction in boot loaders.

It will boot RAID1 - or more accurately it will boot from an underlying
partition. You just have to do the install command manually
because it doesn't figure out the underlying devices that make up
up the md device.

> > No one-liners here.  But there's that two-liner in the above referenced
> > article
> > ;-)
> >

> Well a two-liner for each disk that has to be typed into the grub thingy, no fun
> when running RAID1 with 2 spares, can't this be put into a script?

I agree that it would be nice if this were automatic, but with grub at
least you only have to do it once so it's not a real showstopper.  With
lilo you had to repeat the install at every change to the config, kernel
or initrd.  There is also an issue in automating this regarding where
the alternates appear in case the boot disk(s) fail.  With scsi and
most failure modes, the subsequent drives shift up as far as bios and
the /dev/sd? devices are concerned.  With IDE, they keep their original
bios and /dev/hd? names but most failures will also take out any
drives sharing the same controller and prevent booting until you
physically remove the bad one anyway. I'm not sure what to expect
with SATA.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com