[CentOS] How to properly install VLC?

Thu Nov 17 09:08:51 UTC 2005
Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>

Hi all,

My colleagues and friends from time to time send me .wmv files and I'd
like to be able to view them under CentOS.

VLC was recommended to me, and AFAIR about a half year ago I tried
installing it. I don't remember the exact details, but I do remember
that the Red Hat and Fedora binary distributions didn't work without
giving all sorts of errors. I _think_ I then did a source compilation,
and managed to get VLC at least to start up from the command line.

However... It is still a brute text interface only, and when I try to
add a wmv file to the playlist it gives me all sorts of errors and
nagging about 'file format probably not supported' etc. :(

I just tried to install the Red Hat binary distribution again from
FireFox (from: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/), and I didn't see it
complain about anything, but still it doesn't work any differently from
the above. :(((

Does anyone know how to go about this (I don't mind doing a source
compilation, just as long as I now which version to grab and how to get
it properly installed)?

Cheers,
Olafo