[CentOS] How to properly install VLC?

Thu Nov 17 12:00:04 UTC 2005
Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net>

Olaf Greve wrote:
> Does anyone know how to go about this (I don't mind doing a source
> compilation, just as long as I now which version to grab and how to get
> it properly installed)?

I'd add dag, dries and atrpms to your /etc/yum.conf , then yum install
mplayer* gxine

With Mplyaer and gxine you will also need to go to
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html and get the
necessary codecs.

User them both for awhile, and pick the one you like best.

More detailed instructions are below.

1. Edit /etc/yum.conf by adding:

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

[dries]
name=Extra Fedora rpms dries - $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/dries.ulyssis.org/redhat/el4/en/i386/dries/RPMS
enabled=1

[atrpms]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - ATrpms
baseurl=http://dl.atrpms.net/el4-i386/atrpms/stable
enabled=0

2. Go to their homepages to import GPG keys or set gpgcheck=1.

3. GEt the codec package and follow the instructions in the README.
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

4, yum install mplayer* gxine