[CentOS] Re: cdrecord Error (Permissions?)

Mon Nov 28 16:10:41 UTC 2005
Alex White <ethericalzen at gmail.com>

Barry Brimer wrote:
> Quoting Alex White <ethericalzen-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>:
>>
>>When running k3b I get an error stating that cdrecord did not exit
>>properly. And k3b will not burn a cd.
>>
>>Running cdrecord from the command line as such:
>>
>>/usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdd speed=40 -dao
>>driveropts=burnfree -eject -data /home/fakeuser/cdimage.iso
>>
>>I am met with a Segmentation fault. There is no other error obviously.
>>
>>Any ideas? I'm running this as a regular user. Root does not
>>encounter this problem. So the iso is perfectly fine.
>>
>>What permissions does cdrecord need to be run as a regular user or should
>>I be using sudo to burn a cd using cdrecord anyhow? Should cdrecord
>>be suid?
>

> There is a statement about burning CDs as a non-root user under 2.6.8+ kernels
> at the main page for cdrecord
> <http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html>
>
> The summary version is: Burn CDs as root.
>
> Barry Brimer

Thanks. However, running k3b as a regular user did at one time work,
but that's really not much of an issue to me. I suppose then I
should change cdrecord to run suid and that will solve my problem.
Thanks for the linkage as well I'll read up on it.

Alex White