[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:57:06 UTC 2005

On 04/10/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> > Has anything been updated recently? Are any KDE packages listed
>

> Oh, yeah. Lots of stuff. In fact, I started out this thread by pointing
> out that I had installed Quanta, which required me to install a whole
> shebang of KDE libraries.

Oops, I wasn't paying too much attention initially, I don't tend to
bother trying to help with GUI stuff as I don't do much of it. :)

> But I was told that nothing I did with KDE should impact what I have in
> Gnome. Which sounds reasonable, but I have to admit that it still seems
> suspicious to me that this problem has happened twice, both times after
> installing KDE related libraries.
>
> Anyway, to answer your question directly, here are the KDE related
> packages that result from the command you suggest:
>
> redhat-menus-3.8-0.1.3.kde

Well the redhat-menus provide defaults for both KDE and Gnome,
presumably as part of the unified Bluecurve look and feel?

This is from WBEL but should be applicable to CentOS too...

[root at willspc etc]# rpm -qil system-menus-3.7.1-2.WB1
Name        : system-menus                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.7.1                             Vendor: whiteboxlinux.org
Release     : 2.WB1                         Build Date: Fri 29 Apr
2005 08:37:18 BST
Install Date: Tue 31 May 2005 11:16:25 BST      Build Host:
bob.whiteboxlinux.org
Group       : User Interface/Desktops       Source RPM:
system-menus-3.7.1-2.WB1.src.rpm
Size        : 580236                           License: XFree86
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 04 May 2005 02:47:31 BST, Key ID ae52a76d73307de6
URL         : http://www.redhat.com
Summary     : Configuration and data files for the desktop menus
Description :

This package contains the XML files that describe the menu layout for
GNOME and KDE, and the .desktop files that define the names and icons
of "subdirectories" in the menus.
/etc/X11/starthere
/etc/X11/starthere/applications.desktop
/etc/X11/starthere/preferences.desktop
/etc/X11/starthere/sysconfig.desktop
/etc/xdg
/etc/xdg/menus
/etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/preferences.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/server-settings.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/start-here.menu
/etc/xdg/menus/system-settings.menu

Are both /etc/X11/starthere/preferences.desktop and
/etc/xdg/menus/preferences.menu present? I wonder if one of those
packages has modified them and the reinstall is just creating .rpmnew
files rather than replacing the defaults you want?

Is there anything suspicious in your ~/Desktop/ (check for .dot files too).