[CentOS] Lost my menu options again - KDE messes with Gnome?

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 14:57:06 UTC 2005

On 04/10/05, Dave Gutteridge <dave at tokyocomedy.com> wrote:

> > Has anything been updated recently? Are any KDE packages listed
> Oh, yeah. Lots of stuff. In fact, I started out this thread by pointing
> out that I had installed Quanta, which required me to install a whole
> shebang of KDE libraries.

Oops, I wasn't paying too much attention initially, I don't tend to
bother trying to help with GUI stuff as I don't do much of it. :)

> But I was told that nothing I did with KDE should impact what I have in
> Gnome. Which sounds reasonable, but I have to admit that it still seems
> suspicious to me that this problem has happened twice, both times after
> installing KDE related libraries.
> Anyway, to answer your question directly, here are the KDE related
> packages that result from the command you suggest:
> redhat-menus-3.8-0.1.3.kde

Well the redhat-menus provide defaults for both KDE and Gnome,
presumably as part of the unified Bluecurve look and feel?

This is from WBEL but should be applicable to CentOS too...

[root at willspc etc]# rpm -qil system-menus-3.7.1-2.WB1
Name        : system-menus                 Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 3.7.1                             Vendor: whiteboxlinux.org
Release     : 2.WB1                         Build Date: Fri 29 Apr
2005 08:37:18 BST
Install Date: Tue 31 May 2005 11:16:25 BST      Build Host:
Group       : User Interface/Desktops       Source RPM:
Size        : 580236                           License: XFree86
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Wed 04 May 2005 02:47:31 BST, Key ID ae52a76d73307de6
URL         : http://www.redhat.com
Summary     : Configuration and data files for the desktop menus
Description :

This package contains the XML files that describe the menu layout for
GNOME and KDE, and the .desktop files that define the names and icons
of "subdirectories" in the menus.

Are both /etc/X11/starthere/preferences.desktop and
/etc/xdg/menus/preferences.menu present? I wonder if one of those
packages has modified them and the reinstall is just creating .rpmnew
files rather than replacing the defaults you want?

Is there anything suspicious in your ~/Desktop/ (check for .dot files too).