[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Fri Oct 7 15:45:23 UTC 2005

First... sorry for breaking this thread so badly.. but... I guess it's
not exactly CentOS related anyway. Then again, it is a 'fantastic' new
use for Linux in general, which could have a positive effect for us all!

>>I don't understand that, you want to pull in a show faster than it
>>plays?
>>

>Yes, when it is already recorded. The equivalent would be copying a
>file from one mythtv server to another for later viewing.  It
>would be better to allow access to arbitrary files, not just
>what comes out the video jacks and to do it at full media
>speed, not real display time.

Fat chance of that. Remember.. "Who shot J.R.?" I don't think they'll
ever allow you to see the outcome faster than the rest of the world by
having such a device. Commercials will gain from this, as those wanting
to know who shot JR at the earliest possible moment will sit through the
commercials. Otherwise, advertising on TV could completely go away and
the cost of TV programming would have to rise substantially. Likely,
this is already being factored in.. first it was VCRs... clunky but
effective... but with DVR, whew.. commercial skip is so very easy.

>I think it will last until the voters wake up and realize
>that their interests have been sold out by the legislators
>mandating this crap.

I am on Dish Network. So, I buy my equipment 'each' time. I now have a
couple of receivers one a STV Dishplayer. I've purchased a LCD TV and am
looking at the HDTV options. I should have said this in my first post.

So, looking at Direct and Dish for a best upgrade alternative... I find
there really isn't one that's reasonable. Maybe I'm just looking too
early and should wait a year... but.. with MythTV, gee, that changes
everything. With Dish, I'd need to buy yet another new receiver and to
get DVR and HDTV in one receiver it's $799 (which actually contains two
receivers.. one HDTV and one STV). I saw on one of the satelite
websites, that having a DVR will cost an extra $4.99/month. That rubs me
the wrong way. I'm already paying for programming, why do I have to pay
more to watch when I want? They didn't charge me the 5 bucks for having
a VCR... what's the difference? And, as 'standards' seem to change so
quickly, this seems to be an ongoing process of equipment purchases...
something I don't want to spend money on for TV.. it's just not that
high of a priority. So, Myth looks very very interesting.

So, I'm looking now at a MythTV system and possibly a HDTV satelite
receiver, however the quantity of programming and the additional HDTV
fees... another 11 bucks a month for 4 to 6 channels... just goes beyond
what I really want to pay. Network television is doing simulcast. Now
realalistically, how long can we expect that to continue? Something like
a football game. If I understand this right they have two crews with two
sets of cameras shooting the same game at the same time. Or maybe this
is bad information now and that might have just been done at the start?
But, I am thinking this redundant signal broadcasting will go away as
quickly as it can be done without losing viewers. Maybe in the next 5 to
10 years. Yes, the satelite companies both seem to have put up
additional satelites, but this was done to "add local stations", with at
the same time the forethought that HDTV was coming, so it was included
on the new equipment. I guess I'm just fussing because I want HDTV on my
local stations, which is not available via antenna in my remote area,
nor via satelite yet... and I want it at the price I'm already paying...
which is PLENTY! This is supposed to be a 'free TV' signal. I don't get
to charge more for clients visiting our webservers on broadband versus
those on dialup!

So, for about the same equipment cost, I could buy myself a nice fast
new computer for my workstation, relagate my 2.4GHtz to the Myth system
and if the harddrive dies, something that happened to my first
dishplayer just weeks before the one year warrenty ran out (whew!!),
I'll be able to easily fix it instead of finding a way to replace a bad
drive in a dishplayer at perhaps 13 months and going through the hassles
of finding information on how to do it. I like this direction much
better! It also has the potential of 'extending' the life of my old
computer equipment as I upgrade/replace systems.

Thanks for all the links and info.. I'll spend some time figuring out
the technobabble in this field and come to a conclusion and direction.

To the list, sorry if this went too far off topic.. I'm hoping it will
be considered as good general information to all and yet another great
reason for using Linux!

Best Regards,
John Hinton