[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4 - Solved

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 16:07:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 23:31, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 22:17, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Actually I'd rather have a device able to deliver to any
> networked computer instead of having to deal with tuners
> at every display.

Actually mythtv almost gets you there.  If you have a sufficient number
of capture cards you could have a box that accepts cable from the wall.
All your displays would run mythfrontend.  This keeps all the tuners on
the backend system.

> > > Yes, it does.  I have Comcast and the Motorola DVR and have been
> > > able to get HD out the firewire and view it with videolan client
> > > but it is very inconvenient since it only plays in real time
> > > as the same thing shows on the video outputs.
> > >

> > I don't understand that, you want to pull in a show faster than it
> > plays?
>
> Yes, when it is already recorded. The equivalent would be copying a
> file from one mythtv server to another for later viewing.  It
> would be better to allow access to arbitrary files, not just
> what comes out the video jacks and to do it at full media
> speed, not real display time.

OK, I understand now.  You are talking about the bundled DVR the cable
company provides.  Could you feed the firewire into a mythtv box?  Then
you be able to do those things with the content from the myth box.
Would mean not using the Comcast DVR.

> > Wonder how long that will last?  Such things normally present a
> > challenge to those that develop things like mythtv.  :)
>
> I think it will last until the voters wake up and realize
> that their interests have been sold out by the legislators
> mandating this crap.

Like that will happen in my life time.  I have a better chance of
winning the lotto.