[CentOS] Re: Clarification

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:56:37 UTC 2005

Snowman,

up2date and yum both work on top of or maybe "in cooperation with" the
rpm package management system.  So, if you like using one or the other
to do your updating at a given time you can use either one and they
won't get confused since they both store/read information from the
rpmDB.

Yum uses metadata about a repository to know what is going on, what
updates might exist, etc.  You can use "yum list updates" to see what
needs to be updated.  Some people put a "yum list updates" and then
redirect it to mail to them in their daily cron so that they know if
they have updates rather than using the up2date applet.

When you start yum it goes to the repositories in your configuration
files, pulls down the metadata from those repositories and then parses
through it looking for updates, packages to satisfy dependencies if
there are updates, and other fun stuff like that.

None of the files for CentOS (unless you changed something) from from
anything RH related.  I assume you know how that all works and said
"RH" where you meant "CentOS"...

Regards,
Greg