[CentOS] 2 httpd configs

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 01:40:13 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 18:58, Craig White wrote:

> I have installed BrightStor ArcServe and I need it to also serve some
> web pages. The ArcServe runs on a different port but has it's own
> httpd.conf with the distribution.
> The last time I did it, it was the only web pages I needed to serve on
> the system so it was easy enough to just replace the
> default /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf with the supplied httpd.conf from
> ArcServe
> This time, I can't do that so I guess that I want to run another
> instance of httpd, with the alternate httpd.conf file which I can do by
> copying /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd and altering the copy to use the ArcServe
> config file.
> Is this the right way to handle this?

That will work, but it is unnecessarily drastic unless the
httpd instance has to run under a different user id.  Apache
can be configured to handle many different virtual servers
distinguished by IP address, port number, and/or hostname.
If you don't need a different uid, the easy way is to
add a DNS CNAME pointing to the other name, convert your
existing site to a named virtual host, then add this and
as many other names with corresponding server configurations
as you need as additional named vhosts.

  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com