[CentOS] 2 httpd configs

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Oct 8 03:13:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 20:40 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 18:58, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I have installed BrightStor ArcServe and I need it to also serve some
> > web pages. The ArcServe runs on a different port but has it's own
> > httpd.conf with the distribution.
> >
> > The last time I did it, it was the only web pages I needed to serve on
> > the system so it was easy enough to just replace the
> > default /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf with the supplied httpd.conf from
> > ArcServe
> >
> > This time, I can't do that so I guess that I want to run another
> > instance of httpd, with the alternate httpd.conf file which I can do by
> > copying /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd and altering the copy to use the ArcServe
> > config file.
> >
> > Is this the right way to handle this?
>
> That will work, but it is unnecessarily drastic unless the
> httpd instance has to run under a different user id.  Apache
> can be configured to handle many different virtual servers
> distinguished by IP address, port number, and/or hostname.
> If you don't need a different uid, the easy way is to
> add a DNS CNAME pointing to the other name, convert your
> existing site to a named virtual host, then add this and
> as many other names with corresponding server configurations
> as you need as additional named vhosts.
----
It may be possible to run as a virtual server but it appears that I
would have to do a bunch of mucking around since it is supposed to run
under a different user id.

I am trying to figure out how to run multiple httpd.conf and haven't had
much success either by creating /etc/sysconfig/httpd...
# cat /etc/sysconfig/httpd
# multiple configs
OPTIONS="-f /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf \
-f /opt/CA/BrightStorARCserve/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"

or
OPTIONS="-f /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf \
/opt/CA/BrightStorARCserve/httpd/conf/httpd.conf"

and I also tried
cp /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd-bab
and changing pid and /var/lock/subsys and conf references but it won't
launch

;-(

so I'm pretty much where I started

Craig