[CentOS] LM_SENSORS

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Oct 10 16:18:45 UTC 2005

Hee, hee, hee.. that sounds like a real undertaking to me :-) I guess
with the hardware monitoring and protection the board itself provides
(throttling cpu speeds) and such, I really shouldn't worry too much
about temps. The reason I sent the Tyan board back was due to some
overvoltage problems of cpu core voltage, and didn't want to wipe out a
pair of Xeon cpu's. That is one area I really would like to monitor, but
seeing what it shows now of 4.08 volts does not leave me much faith in
things. Its just too much of a job to try to swag all the components on
the mobo, as chip caps and resistors don't lend themselves to scrutiny
by old eyes, even with a magnifier! Perhaps one day someone will get
things figured out, but until then, I can take the readings with a grain
of salt and watch for drastic changes from the initial.. that would be
more useful probably in the long run

Thanks MaZe

Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:

> The problem is that sometimes the same chips are used but different
> valued parts (resistors, etc.) are attached to the motherboard. So
> only the motherboard manufacturer has any real idea about the proper
> way to scale the value you can read from the chip to a concrete
> temperature or voltage. In many cases the default lm_sensors values
> work OK, but for some oddball motherboards with non-standard values
> (even though using standard chips!) there's nothing you can really do.
> You can either experiment or try to take a close look at the
> motherboard and figure out what actual elements are used (if that is
> even visible) - not the chips but the tiny extra elements like
> resistors and/or condensators...
> Of course you could also theoretically reverse engineer the windows
> drivers...
>
> Cheers,
> MaZe.

Snowman