[CentOS] LM_SENSORS

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Mon Oct 10 15:10:04 UTC 2005

>   Thanks for the info.  Unfortunately, the readings I get from sensors after
> those commands is nowhere even close to what some of the voltages should be.
> Core voltages are showing 4.08v and should be 1.3v.  Lots of the others are
> way out as well, and temps are off, but higher than the actual hardware
> monitors in the bios show.  I guess that is where all the different lines
> come into play in the sensors.conf file.  There are just too many options to
> try to figure out which chip is doing what, especially with 3 or 4 different
> chips on the motherboard.  I would have thought that some of the major mobo
> manufacturers would have written some kind of hardware monitor for linux, but
> guess not.  Looks like I'll just have to dig into the /etc/sensors.conf and
> try to find the chip that works best, then set the highs and lows.  Trouble
> with that is with the readings that are shown, nothing will be in spec.  Any
> more suggestions before I screw things up ? :-)

The problem is that sometimes the same chips are used but different valued
parts (resistors, etc.) are attached to the motherboard.  So only the
motherboard manufacturer has any real idea about the proper way to scale
the value you can read from the chip to a concrete temperature or voltage.
In many  cases the default lm_sensors values work OK, but  for some
oddball motherboards with non-standard values (even though using standard
chips!) there's nothing you can really do.  You can either experiment or
try to take a close look at the motherboard and figure out what actual
elements are used (if that is even visible) - not the chips but the tiny
extra elements like resistors and/or condensators...
Of course you could also theoretically reverse engineer the windows
drivers...

Cheers,
MaZe.