[CentOS] Boot hanging with rhgb

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 11:23:03 UTC 2005

.  I would ask for any comments on how to
> trouble shoot this problem so it can be fix.  Or if it is not important
> please tell me and I will remove the option from grub.conf.  Thank you
> in advance for your help.

Both. Basically rhgb launches x once the system thinks it can do so to
finish the boot procedure with a pretty look that users like. It's
completely unecessary and I usually remove it because it causes
problems with the nvidia driver module on kernel update etc.  You can
safely remove 'rhgb quiet' from the lines in grub.conf with no
problem. Does X work normally once you get it? Are you using any
special third party drivers for it like nvidia or ATI that might be
causing issues? Check the logs (/var/log/messages and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log) to see if anything is happening in there that you
can track down.

> Dick Rutledge

Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT