[CentOS] Updates not catching up ?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Oct 12 19:29:29 UTC 2005

mbneto wrote:
> My idea to move from fedora to centos was trying to get a stable
> distribution that I can afford with long term plans for support.

We're talking about a complete distribution build, something that takes
Redhat well over a few weeks to get together, test and release. I am
sure you will allow us atleast a few days ( we dont do anywhere near the
level of testing that Redhat would - but we still find issues and
breakages, even in their release's ).

As has already been pointed out by some of the other people, security
patches and releases are sent out within a few hours in most cases.

In this case - most of the patches and fixes released by Redhat on zero
day along with 4U2 were indeed pushed out from our end, the only ones
held back were pkgs that in turn had dep's on pkgs from the 4.2 tree.
The pkg you mentioned, MySQL is in 4.2.

> On the other hand wait a week for a security update come from rh to
> centos seems too much.

It has'nt been over a week yet, unless you live in Australia / Japan. :)

> Is there anything I can do to help ?

There is always things people can do to help out, drop into
#centos-devel on irc.freenode.net and we can talk.

- K