[CentOS] prevent kernel module from loading during kickstart

Fong Vang sudoyang at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:06:37 UTC 2005

On 10/13/05, Sudev Barar <sbarar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/14/05, Fong Vang <sudoyang at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What's the easiest way to disable a kernel module during kickstart?
> > Is there a syslinux command that could be passed in to prevent a
> > module from loading?
>
> Add an entry into /etc/hotplug/blacklist
>
> Is that what you were looking for?

Not really. I have a motherboard with 2 NICs of different brand.  When
trying to kick with CentOS 4.1, these interfaces appear in different
order at various stages of kickstart (mainly pxelinux and Linux
kernel).  Unfortunately, the BIOS does not have the option to disable
the interfaces (nor does it have the option to choose which NIC to do
pxeboot).

It would be nice if one could just tell Linux/Anaconda to not load a
particular kernel module.