[CentOS] HowTo copy a Logical Volume to another LV

William L. Maltby BillsCentOS at triad.rr.com
Fri Oct 14 20:36:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:23 -0400, Jesse Waters wrote:
> hello all,
>
> Hoping for some help on copying Logical Volumes.
> <snip>

> cd /mnt/orig
> tar cf - ./ |(cd /mnt/copy; tar xf - )
>
> Is there a LV tool to do this?
> Or an option used with lvcreate, such as --autobackup?
> Or maybe pvmove, but that seems more for moving To LV from PV or vesa versa?

To my knowledge, a comparable (better, faster, more/less * who knows)
way is

    find . | cpio -pduma /mnt/copy

There are other newer params to cpio, some of which *may* be needed for
some devices, etc. Since I haven[t read a cpio man page in about 20+
years, I suggest you give it a browse.

Cpio has/was/is always been preferred by many admins for many reasons.
But tar got all the GNU press so bias ruled over reason, as normal. Try
cpio and you might like it.

It does have a tar compatibility mode, which is relatively new to me.
Shows how long I've been involved with *(IX and how far I fall behind
when I stop reading stuff.

> <snip>

Bill