[CentOS] HowTo copy a Logical Volume to another LV

Aleksandar Milivojevic alex at milivojevic.org
Fri Oct 14 20:47:23 UTC 2005

Quoting Jesse Waters <jesse.waters at gmail.com>:

> hello all,
>
> Hoping for some help on copying Logical Volumes.
>
> I would like to copy an existing LV to a newly formed LV.
>
> I don't want to do a snapshot of an existing LV.
>
> Only way I've seen is to mount the to LV and:
> mount /dev/vg00/lv00 /mnt/orig
> mount /dev/vg00/lv01 /mnt/copy
>
> cd /mnt/orig
> tar cf - ./ |(cd /mnt/copy; tar xf - )
>
> Is there a LV tool to do this?
> Or an option used with lvcreate, such as --autobackup?
> Or maybe pvmove, but that seems more for moving To LV from PV or vesa versa?

Hm, maybe using that new mirroring feature in LVM.  Mirror the thing, let it
sync, and than break the mirror.  You can have the thing online and available
while syncing, and just unmount it for the short period of time when breaking
the mirror (to avoid data corruption).  Just an idea to investigate,
don't know
if it is actually doable (haven't yet had time to play with LVM
mirroring, just
saw it in list of new features).