[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:06:28 UTC 2005

> Humm.. Even Red Hat is supporting RHEL releases longer than this.
> We use  RHEL  AS Release with full support.

Not correct. RHEL is on RHEL 4 update 2.  If you run up2date -fu, you
will get the full updates. Follow that with a cat /etc/redhat-release
and it will confirm thusly (note we use ES, not AS, but same applies):

[jperrin at xxxx ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 2)
[jperrin at xxxx ~]$

it's the major version number that has the support, not the minor.

> Does this mean if Red Hat comes out with more updates for RHEL 4.1
> you will not apply them to Centos 4.1 any more?

All updates are being applied to the 4.2 tree now, just as upstream is
applying them to AS4 update 2.

Jim Perrin
System Administrator - UIT
Ft Gordon & US Army Signal Center