[CentOS] 4.1 being dropped from mirrors

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Oct 19 17:22:44 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 13:06, Lance Davis wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Read "CentOS 4.2" as "CentOS 4, quarterly update rollup 2".  I believe
> > the use of a minor version number is a mistake for this reason, but that
> > is the way CentOS does it.

> maybe we should change it next time to 4u3 raher than 4.3 :)

Well, I for one am not confused about it.  4u3, 4.3, same difference to my
mind.  But obviously there are people who do have some confusion over it.  I
guess it boils down to a simple choice: spend a few minutes making the
version numbers align with upstream (twiddling a few bits here and there) or
writing an article/page on why this is the way it's done that takes more
time, requires more work, uses more space, and still has to be referred to
every time someone asks this question.  It's all a matter of which is more
work to the people doing the work.  :-)  I don't care either way, as it's
just XOR'ing the release with 006B00. :-)
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology