[CentOS] yum update in background

Michael Grinnell grinnell at american.edu
Wed Oct 19 18:54:28 UTC 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 1:53 PM, Robert wrote:

> } >
> }
> } Use screen.
> }
> } http://jmcpherson.org/screen.html
> } http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Using_screen
>
> im following your theory on recommendation yet not following based
> upon my
> scenario right now.
>
> maybe i should clarify...
>
> i am ssh'ing into a bash shell on a CentOS 4.1 server at a
> datacenter. it is
> just a backup dns server and so if i lose after a reboot, ill be ok.
>
> my access connection can go up and down at times so i was hoping
> that i
> could do a
>
> yum -y update &
>
> and later just come back and reboot it into 4.2
>
> good idea or not? if not, please explain and thanks
>
> if i have to, ill install screen, yet will this simple yum update idea
> work???
>
>  - rh
>
> --
> Robert Hanson - Abba Communications
> Computer & Internet Services
> www.abbacomm.net

Your basic scenario would be:

1) ssh into server
2) start screen
3) yum update
4) detach screen (yum continues in background)
5) ssh into server again
6) reattach screen
7) check status of yum process, check errors, etc.
8) once yum is finished, reboot

The advantage of doing this with screen is that even if your ssh
connection dies in the middle of typing a command, you can ssh back
into the server, reattach the screen, and be right where you left off.

I can't really speak to the wisdom of yum -y update & as I always
like to know what questions it asks me before I say yes or no.

I hope this was the answer you were looking for,

Michael Grinnell
Network Security Administrator
The American University
e-mail: grinnell at american.edu