[CentOS] cache memory not being used

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Mon Oct 24 03:42:01 UTC 2005

Dave wrote:

>On 10/20/05, William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:
>

>>18 megs of swap with a gig installed is nothing significant.  As far as
>>cached memory not being used.  If xorg is using 750 megs of ram there's
>>not a whole bunch left for a file cache after the other applications are
>>also allocated.
>>

> The xorg memory consumtion is a different issue, I've had that
>problem for awile now, thats why I put in another 512 of ram so I can
>reboot twice a month instead of every weekend.
>
> I'm curious if something has changed in the way memory is managed, I
>was under the impression that there should be very little free memory
>since the cache and buffers should be using it.

Sounds like a memory leak, not unheard of in X servers. SGI has had some
famous ones over the years :-). Also not uncommon given the change from
XFree86 to Xorg (different team as I understood it).

--
	William A. Mahaffey III
	Remember, ignorance is bliss, but