[CentOS] More than 1 gcc version?

Brian T. Brunner brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
Mon Oct 24 15:34:33 UTC 2005

Not necessarily... gcc 2.9x LOVES my code, and the program built
under it runs like a champ.

gcc 3.4 barfs on this same source code, so I see this as
"Stoopidly Pedantic" on the part of the compiler-writers.

Things that work and stop working because of a "better compiler"
bring into question the definition of "better".

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner at gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

Tom Brown wrote:

> Hi
>
> CentOS4.2 - Is it possible to have an older version of gcc as well as
> the one that ships with this OS? I need to compile aspseek to run on
> this distro but it seems to only like older gcc's
>
> any ideas?

4.2 ships with a recent vintage GCC 3 and there's an option to include
GCC4.  If your program won't compile with a very stable GCC3, then you
might want to fix the broken software rather than install an obsolete
development environment, no?

Cheers,