[CentOS] Re: PostgeSQL 8.0.4 on CentOS4.2

James B. Byrne ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Wed Oct 26 15:56:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:11:56 -0600, Michael Best <mbest at pendragon.org> wrote:

> 1. DON'T USE nodeps
>
> It's because the binaries don't have libpq.so.3 (if I remember
> correctly).  Installing it this way will just break those things
> that need that library.
>
> Instead.... install the compat-postgresql-libs

That would have been really useful information to have, back on
October 17 when I first asked the question about PostgreSQL 8 and
CentOS 4 on this list.  Lamar Owan provided a lot of help in his
reply but I either missed any reference to the compatibility
libraries or he failed to mention them. It is too bad that I was
not aware of this when I carried out my procedure.

However, as my recent post stated, this update was carried out on a
dedicated development server.  The each postgresql-8.0.4 package
was first rpm -U --test installed with dependencies on to see what
would break and determine if anything critical was in that list.
The packages dependent upon libpq.so.3 on our server were:

mod_auth_pgsql-2.0.1-6
dovecot-0.99.11-2.EL4.1
perl-DBD-Pg-1.31-6
postgresql-tcl-7.4.8-1.RHEL4.1
postgresql-python-7.4.8-1.RHEL4.1

Now the postgresql-*-7.4.8 stuff is not used on the development
server, or anywhere else in our operation so far as we can
determine.  Those were deleted.  Ditto for dovecot.  Ditto for perl-
DBD. Finally, the development machine does not provide httpd
service so mod_auth_pgsql-2.0.1-6 is also redundant.

Linux OS distributions are not religious dogma.  Sometimes you just
have to get something working and accept that fact that this choice
will render less important things useless.   This may not be the
most elegant approach, but there is always a limit to the amount of
time available to solve these kinds of problems.

I appreciate that moving from postgres 7.x to 8.x is a far more
involved issue for applications running against that dbms than
simply loading the software.  But all I needed was get a particular
version of a particular package running on a tabula rasa server
dedicated to development of a new application.  The point being to
avoid converting from pg 7.4 to 8.x in the future.

At least all this information is now on the list for future
reference.

Regards,
Jim

--