[CentOS] Mail Server

ijez ijez at time.net.my
Fri Oct 28 05:05:06 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Ultimately, your requirements should drive your decision
>
> Let me qualify this opinion by disclosing that I am by no means a guru.
> However, when I wanted to set up a mail server for my home domain, the
> installation, documentation and support had to be easy.
>
> Although there may be technically superior solutions out there, I am
> kind of partial to Qmail in either of two flavors (in truth, it's not
> necessarily Qmail itself that sold me, but the individual implementations):
>
> www.qmailrocks.org - this site gives you a step-by-step walk through for
> configuring a Qmail server with anti-virus, anti-spam, web
> administration, smtp/pop/imap; it also provides a squirrelmail interface
> for checking email via the web.
>
> The documentation is very helpful and you learn a lot during the
> install.  Given an existing install of CentOS, I would plan for about 8
> hours for a first-time install.
>
> www.qmailtoaster.com - when my first mail server died (due to
> catastrophic hardware failure), I took the opportunity to switch to
> qmailtoaster.  I'm a bit busy with life away from a keyboard, and the
> qmail-toaster setup had a couple of very strong benefits for me:
>
> First, it is incredibly simple.  Given an existing CentOS installation,
> you can have a Qmail-toaster up and running in less than two hours (most
> of which is download/compile time).  Second, there is a great web-admin
> interface for handling users, domains, and the MRTG add-on (speaking of
> domains, it supports multiple virtual domains).
>
> Features include spamassassin, clamav (antivirus), ezmlm, squirrelmail,
> smtp/pop/imap and etc.
>
> Finally, for me... the best part of the qmail-toaster installation is
> the mailing list, very friendly and helpful, with no haughty "RTFM"
> edicts from the self-appointed, unconfirmed bench.  Consequently, there
> are very few in the way of stupid questions (perhaps when people give so
> willingly of their time and knowledge, there is the subconscious desire
> to search the archives rather than waste their time).
>
> just my $0.02
>
> Another alternative is the recently released Scalix mail server
> www.scalix.com.  I have not tested it, but there is a free 'community
> version' which is a full-featured version of the enterprise install
> (though limited to 5-users).
>
> hth,
>
> Ron Jones
> Alpharetta, GA

After checking the link, I found that I need to compile most of the software that was use.. all I search for was something that was provided by CentOS `out-of-box` which will simplified the upgrade process by adding some repo and run `yum upgrade` without worrying that I could lost some step while compiling the source ( especially when there was a security fix and need to update urgently ).

Anyway, thanks for the links.. if what I was asking for is not provided by the CentOS 4.x by default then, I will brave myself to follow all those step. ( Anyway, CentOS was a server base distributions and I really wonder why it was not include all those setup which is common for someone who want to setup the email server these days )

Thanks In Advances,
regards,
ijez