[CentOS] AIC7901 RAID320 with CENTOS4 not recognized

Sat Oct 29 19:44:03 UTC 2005
Ted Kaczmarek <tedkaz at optonline.net>

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 12:45 -0500, Erick Perez wrote:
> An INTEL Server motherboard model SE7501BR2 with an onboard Adaptec
> AIC7901 controller (with HostRAID) is not being recognized by CENTOS
> 4.
> The AIC79xx driver loads correctly, however it does not "see" the fact
> that I used the HostRAID onboard software to create a RAID 1 set.
>
> I went to the INTEL site and only found a driver for RHEL 3.0 and I
> was unable to find a driver on the adaptec site.
>
> The CENTOS4 installer gives me the option to create partitions, raids, etc.
> This is not what we want since creating a RAID by software it's
> supposed to be more slow that doing it hardware based right?

I haven't bench marked it myself, but many other have stated software
raid 1 performs very well. The added benefit of not having to worry
about another driver is always a plus. You should run some tests against
your requirements for your self, you may be surprised.

> Does the CENTOS4 support the AIC7901 with HostRAID or not?
>

> Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
>

> --

> Erick Perez

Ted