[CentOS] question on cut -solved

Jerry Geis

geisj at pagestation.com
Fri Sep 2 14:50:09 UTC 2005

Mark,

Thanks thats what I was looking for...

Jerry

Jerry Geis wrote:
>/ I am trying to use cut to tell me the suffix of a file.
/>/ for example: echo /home/silentm/log/file.machine.log | cut -d . -f 1-
/>/
/>/ I was expecting to get .log or log but I get the entire string echoed back.
/>/
/>/ doing the opposite gave me what I expected:
/>/ echo /home/silentm/log/file.machine.log | cut -d . -f 1
/>/ gives me
/>/ /home/silentm/log/file
/>/
/>/ I am trying to find a way to test if the file ends in .log?
/
Awk will do it:
# echo /home/silentm/log/file.machine.log | awk -F. '{print $NF}'
log

The benefit of awk is that you don't have to know how
many dots are in the file.  $NF just prints the last one.

-Mark