[CentOS] Incompatible Libraries

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Fri Sep 2 16:49:40 UTC 2005

Fellow users,

    I'm running into some rather odd behavior trying to compile some
software, and would like to know if there is maybe a fix or if I should
revert back to a 32-bit version of Centos.

    I'm trying to compile NCAR Graphics, as well as some other weather
related software on this machine which is running the Centos 4.1 x86-64
version.  It's a dual Xeon processor.  I've installed all the required
rpms, i.e., xdevel, xaw, etc.  The problem I'm seeing is during linking
of the various packages, where I get messages of "skipping incompatible
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so when searching for -lXaw". I see similar other
messages when trying to link to -L X11, and so forth and so on.  I've
got the correct paths set in the makefiles, but not sure I understand
why the libs are being shown as incompatible.  If any of you have built
ncarg on the x86-64 OS, I'd sure like to hear from you, and what you did
to effect the compile.

Thanks..

Sam

--