[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Sep 5 14:29:05 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 23:06 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >I meant the palm pilot - making sure it is set to 57600 and auto-flow
> >

> Oh, I see. Yes, the Palm Pilot is set to 57600 and automatic flow.
>
> >----
> >yes - and the usb drivers - try the windows fix - reboot the system.
> >
> System rebooted, and yet still it's coming up with the same error.
> However, now that you've convinced me that it's probably not a
> permissions issue, I've been wondering if maybe I'm just not
> understanding the set up.
> For example, I thought gpilot was necessary in order to have connection
> to the Palm Pilot. But should I be running either Jpilot or Gpilot, or both?
> Also, what I've determined about Jpilot is that the error comes up
> before I hit the sync button on the Pilot. But then when I hit the sync
> pilot on the Pilot, and return to JPilot, it can't find the Pilot. I've
> tried finding clear online documentation, but I can't determine what I
> would think were some fairly obvious questions:
> What's the step by step process for syncing files with JPilot?
> Can I install .prc files with gpilot?
> Is there a relationship between JPilot and Gpilot, or are they two
> programs for the same task?
-----
jpilot and gpilot are completely different programs and they share
nothing but probably the symbolic link to /dev/pilot and that's it.

if you want to check out raw transfer with gpilotd...

from cli...(probably as user and not root)

pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -L #and then press the hotsync/cradle or palm

see if it connects, backs up, etc.

if you have no data at all in jpilot...

rm -fr $HOME/.jpilot

then start the program as this will flush the settings and return to
defaults.

if you have data in jpilot...you could mv instead of rm

cd $HOME mv .jpilot .jpilot-bak

All sorts of programs can install prc (palm programs) including gpilot
(gnome-pilot). JPilot should be the easiest to get working though.

Thus you can run both or either gpilot/jpilot as they have nothing
really to do with each other.

Craig