[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation [SOLVED]

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Sep 6 14:48:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 23:10 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >jpilot and gpilot are completely different programs and they share
> >nothing but probably the symbolic link to /dev/pilot and that's it.
> >

> I see. Thank you for clearing that up.
>
> After completely halting gpilot and rebooting and various attempts at
> finding the right order of pressing which sync button at which time,
> something has finally changed. The error no longer comes up, and if I
> press the sync on the Palm first, and then the sync button in JPilot
> second, I can successfully sync between them.
>
> I appreciate you and the other members of the list walking me through
> this and getting it to work.
----
This should be instructive to you that it is not generally necessary to
brute force things such as permissions. You should have faith that the
developers are quite intelligent on these things and what holds us back
(and I definitely include myself here), is the lack of understanding of
how things work. As you can see though, when you figure them out, it
even makes Windows more understandable.

Now - gpilotd is a daemon and when running, will monitor the port that
it is set to monitor...typically /dev/pilot

Thus if gpilotd is working properly, all you should need to do is press
the hotsync button on the cradle or in the palm environment.

jpilot might have some similar daemon - I don't know - I never persisted
in using jpilot but without that daemon to monitor for the presence
of /dev/pilot, jpilot only complains that there is no /dev/pilot when
told to sync with the palm before you press hotsync on the palm or
cradle.

Craig