[CentOS] Changing permissions on files that only exist during USB operation [SOLVED]

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Tue Sep 6 15:16:20 UTC 2005

>----
>This should be instructive to you that it is not generally necessary to
>brute force things such as permissions. You should have faith that the
>developers are quite intelligent on these things and what holds us back
>(and I definitely include myself here), is the lack of understanding of
>how things work.

Well, I'm not really sure that description represents the situation. I
didn't just make up the issue of permissions. In fact, I don't know
nearly enough about Linux to even conceive of a solution like that.
What I got was an error message, with the word "ERROR" in capital
letters, and I looked it up on the net. I really can't see how that's an
unreasonable course of action.

Following that, after I came across a suggestion that it was a
permissions problem, I came here to this list to ask further, and I
wasn't told right away "no, that's not a permissions issue, that's a
different problem". I was told how to possibly modify permissions, and
got kind of deep into it before someone finally said "hey, maybe it's
not a permissions problem". So for a while I had a lot of support for
the idea that it was a permissions problem.

In other words, faith doesn't enter into it. My understanding of Linux
is only as good as the information I find in response to my queries.

I'm not sure how far I would get if I always assumed I was just doing
things wrong every time I came across an error message. I've worked with
computers long enough to know that an error is quite likely to actually
be an error.

Dave