[CentOS] Cookbook receipe for SCSI tape install requested.

Arun K. Khan knura at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 18:26:04 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 22:54 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology for my request.  I am
> seeking assistance in configuring linux to recognize and use a scsi
> tape drive.  The scsi controller was added to this system for the
> sole purpose of supporting the tape unit long after the os was
> loaded.  I do not know how to tell the linux kernel to select and

     1. Whoever added the SCSI controller to the system should be able
        to tell you Brand/Model of the card and also the chipset used by
        the controller.  This info will help you identify which SCSI
        module to load.  IMO, this is your fastest way to solve the
        problem.  If your SCSI card happens to be supported by Linux
        (see hardware compatibility list) then you know the card is
        dead.
     2. Also, if this SCSI controller has a BIOS, then at boot time you
        should be able to invoke the SCSI devices configuration and see
        if the tape device is listed.  It is an indication that the tape
        unit and the SCSI card have established communication.

HTH
--
Arun Khan
Linux is like a wigwam - no gates, no windows, apache inside