[CentOS] Re: Intel RAID controller -- IGNORE MegaRAID link

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Sep 8 18:51:19 UTC 2005

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> he asked how to make it work, I gave him a suggestion on
> that and didn't offer any opinion on the value of it since
> I didn't know what its capabilities were.

I know.  My intent was not to "cross" you, but I just wanted
to let him know that the link was only going to confuse him.

If it was another, intelligent hardware RAID solution, then
that link would have been viable.  All he needed was to get
the driver.

But I've only seen a few FRAID attempts and they are much
more involved than a SCSI module.  Or the vendor only
releases a kernel version-specific module.

> I think you have offered a far more educated
> assessment of the relative value than I could have.

Well, I wasn't even trying to assert that.  I know it seems I
have an "agenda" against FRAID, and I readily admit I do.
But it's for good reasons.

I don't particularly like MD either, but MD is much, much
better than FRAID.